This post details how to make an alcohol based kava extract at home. However, there are some safety concerns related to alcohol based kava extracts so we recommend only making this very rarely. This recipe will produce a paste that you can use for other recipes and will have a strong kava effect as long as you dont get it too hot(high heat kills kavalactones.)
Kava contains compounds called kavalactones which are responsible for kava’s calming and mood enhancing effects. When you combine kava root with water it releases many of these compounds, but not all kavalactones are water soluble. Some are fat soluble, but all are soluble in alcohol. Making an extract using alcohol gives you the maximum kava strength. Here is one way you can create an extract:
1. Mix kava in mason jars with Devil Springs 160 proof vodka.
2. Leave in fridge for several weeks and shake occasionally.
3. Strain through a cheesecloth into another mason jar to remove everything except the alcohol and pure kavalactones.
4. Place in pan or bowl with large surface area. The alcohol will evaporate leaving behind 100% kavalactones.
5. You now have a pure kavalactone paste that is water soluble, but will need to be sort of blended to dissolve.