Brooklyn Kava is a ceremonial tea from the South Pacific that contains kavalactones, a psychoactive compound that could help you feel less stressed. Kava is best prepared at home using loose kava root powder mixed with, but kava is NOT water soluble, meaning it does not dissolve in water. Drinking unstrained kava feels a lot like drinking sand, so straining thoroughly is a must. Straining kava may seem impractical, but can be done easily using items you probably already have in the house. Here are a few suggestions for how brew and strain kava.
How much kava you use depends on you. Try making kava with about one table spoon per glass. After you have some experience with kava you can adjust this dosage based on your personal preference. For reference, a quarter cup of powdered kava is about 25 grams which is a pretty strong dose.
Mix the kava with room temperature water. Hot water can kill the kavalactones, impairing the functionality of the kava. You want to mix the kava thoroughly into the water. I suggest pouring the kava into a cup of water rather than pouring the water into a cup with kava as kava can sometimes form insulated pockets that do not get wet.
Once the kava is in the water mix it around. You can mix it with a whisk or spoon. For more thorough mixing pop the kava and water mixture into a blender for a minute.
You can purchase items to help you strain or just use items you find around the house. Here are a few options:
- French Press: Use a french press to strain the kava the same way you would kava
- ALU-Ball : Use an aluball by inserting the kava into the aluball then add water to the capsule and shake heavily. you can purchase an aluball here: Getkavafied.com
- Papertowels: You can use a papertowel to strain kava by creating a layer of papertowels over an empty glass. Pour the mixed kava and water through the paper towels very slowly. Believe it or not, this will created a very fine strain. Be careful not to pour too fast or you will destroy the integrity of the paper towels.
- Cheesecloth: basically the same thing as the papertowels only the cheesecloth is better suited and far more durable.
- Metallic strainers: pour the kava through the strainers. When it gets stuck in the filter slap the sides of the strainer. you can also use your hand to squeeze liquid out of the kava, but do not squeeze the kava down into the filter as this will compromise the filter and break it over time.
- Strainer bags: you can purchase filter bags online. This is probably the best way to make kava at home as the bags are washable and reusable.
Like kava dosage, how to serve the kava depends on your personal tastes. Most kava drinkers just drink kava straight, but some people like to mix it with other flavors. Try serving your kava with a slice of pineapple to chase the better taste, or with some muddled mint, lemon and honey.