This post details how to make an alcohol based kava extract at home. However, there are some safety concerns related to alcohol based kava extracts so we recommend only making this very rarely. This recipe will produce a paste that you can use for other recipes and will have a strong kava effect as long as you dont get it too hot(high heat kills kavalactones.)
Kava contains compounds called kavalactones which are responsible for kava’s calming and mood enhancing effects. When you combine kava root with water it releases many of these compounds, but not all kavalactones are water soluble. Some are fat soluble, but all are soluble in alcohol. Making an extract using alcohol gives you the maximum kava strength. Here is one way you can create an extract:
1. Mix kava in mason jars with Devil Springs 160 proof vodka.
2. Leave in fridge for several weeks and shake occasionally.
3. Strain through a cheesecloth into another mason jar to remove everything except the alcohol and pure kavalactones.
4. Place in pan or bowl with large surface area. The alcohol will evaporate leaving behind 100% kavalactones.
5. You now have a pure kavalactone paste that is water soluble, but will need to be sort of blended to dissolve.
Please note we are not doctors and none of this should be taken as medical advice, but we do have an opinion on the matter of kava usage and health.
Kava has been used in the South Pacific for thousands of years, and is rapidly gaining steam in the United States. If you google kava many of the links are about kava supplements causing liver damage. So is kava safe to consume? That may depend on how the kava is prepared and sourced.
Brooklyn Kava is a ceremonial tea from the South Pacific that contains kavalactones, a psychoactive compound that could help you feel less stressed. Kava is best prepared at home using loose kava root powder mixed with, but kava is NOT water soluble, meaning it does not dissolve in water. Drinking unstrained kava feels a lot like drinking sand, so straining thoroughly is a must. Straining kava may seem impractical, but can be done easily using items you probably already have in the house. Here are a few suggestions for how brew and strain kava.Read More